Re: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH

 ❦  4 juin 2019 15:47 +01, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:

> If not, how do you think the question you pose should be answered ?
> Since it is a question of tradeoffs, with no definite right or wrong
> answer, perhaps we should hold a GR ?  What do you think the result of
> such a GR would be ?
>
> I think such a GR would be a collosal waste of time.  This issue is
> not important enough.  In particular, because the consensus is *not*
> that you will *have to* change your packages.  What this discussion
> has mostly concluded is that we should issue a *recommendation*.
> *Not* a mandate.

Well, a GR can be quick and it would help to know where people stand
instead of having a few vocal people decide for everyone. I think we
should impose the use of "dh" for bullseye (with an exception for teams
with more then 50 packages), but I honestly don't know how much this
opinion is shared.

It seems there is a pattern to dissuade people to hold a GR. The last GR
I remember is about changing "Chairman" to "Chair" in our constitution.
I don't remember it was a waste of time and it was pretty quick. And the
last "technical" GR was for systemd in 2014. We are in a project where
it is very hard to be heard because you can only participate in endless
debates.
--
Let him choose out of my files, his projects to accomplish.
		-- Shakespeare, "Coriolanus"