Re: d-shlibs (Was: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH)

Quoting Adrian Bunk (2019-05-14 13:47:02)
> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:50:54PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > > It is fine in the current "maintainer can do anything" world.
> >
> > Hmmm, I don't get it: I'm using dh and in addition I'm using a tool
> > that enforces library packaging policy.
>
> A tool nearly noone else uses or knows.
>
> Spending time on trying to understand what such a tool does or why it
> is needed in a specific package is not really different from spending
> time trying to understand how a buildsystem works.
>
> If it is generally useful it should be done by debhelper
> automatically, otherwise it should not be used at all if the goal is
> to make it easier for other people to make changes to your packages.

I like the smell of flexibility - e.g. debhelper offering a baseline on
top of which can be sprinkled more exotic tweaks as needed.

I dislike the smell of monoculture - e.g. banning or merging into
debhelper itself debhelper addon packages.

 - Jonas