d-shlibs (Was: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH)

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 01:12:17PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Based on this rationale, Andreas should stop using d-shlibs.
> > >
> > > Weird tools on top of dh are not that different from using a weird
> > > buildsystem when debugging other peoples packages, and d-shlibs is
> > > something I've seen involved in bugs more than once.
> >
> > Its the first time that I hear criticism about d-shlibs usage
>
> It is fine in the current "maintainer can do anything" world.

Hmmm, I don't get it:  I'm using dh and in addition I'm using a tool
that enforces library packaging policy.

> > and I'm
> > fine with discussing this but I'd prefer not to spoil the current
> > thread.
>
> It is actually part of it, due to:

> > As far as I understood the point of the discussion is that we want to
> > get the whole archive more uniform to reduce the potential causes for
> > bugs *in* *the* *future*.
>
> If this is the point, then weird tools on top of dh are part of the
> problem just as weird buildsystems are.

d-shlibs is not really on top of dh.  Its invoked with override_*
and thus clearly separate from dh.

[Haskell-example snipped since I think this was discussed somewhere
 else.]

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--