Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 03:57:08PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > both.
> For packaging-only, dgit does not properly support that.  Do you have
> the upstream source in git form too, and if so how do you combine
> them ?  Do you manipulate patches using quilt ? [1]

hm/i'm sorry, I cannot really think of such an example of a package I'm
maintaining. I've definitly encountered such packages though...

> > could you be so kind and provide a pointer, this thread is rather long
> > already? (Maybe this is also worth an FAQ entry somewhere..)
> Sorry, I should have done that the first time.  I'll reply to
> Jonathan and you.

thank you!

> [1] I have to say that I think quilt is just awful.  Perhaps your
> mileage varies, [...]

well, only sometimes. but then, it also does work.

> I know it can be work to learn new stuff, and of course it's a pain if
> lots of people are advising you to learn different and mutually
> incompatible new stuff, but anyone who is still using quilt will
> probably benefit a lot from learning how to use gitish tools instead.

most of the time I deal with quilt is when I want to modify existing
packages, usually not from sid, but from stable or older, and then it
feels more straightforward to deal with quilt. often I just dget the
sources (from an old release (*)), run git init ; git add * : git commit -m
init and fiddle qith quilt & git until it applies nicely.

that way, git really supports me nicely, without forcing me to learn
anything. there's so much to learn all the time...

(*) debcheckout is largely unusable for stretch and older as alioth is gone,
    so... meh.

--
tschau,
	Holger