Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Holger Levsen writes ("Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git"):
> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 12:18:41PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I'm not sure what git branch format you are using.  (Maybe you said it
> > earlier in this thread.)  Packaging-only ?  git-merge ?
>
> both.

For packaging-only, dgit does not properly support that.  Do you have
the upstream source in git form too, and if so how do you combine
them ?  Do you manipulate patches using quilt ? [1]

If you use git-merge and have all the source (including upstream
source) in a single git tree there is indeed no need to use gbp pq.
The manpage dgit-maint-merge(7) explains how to publish such a thing
with dgit.

> > You should use dgit for the benefit of users.  See my other mail which
> > answers why Vcs-Git and debcheckout is not enough.
>
> could you be so kind and provide a pointer, this thread is rather long
> already? (Maybe this is also worth an FAQ entry somewhere..)

Sorry, I should have done that the first time.  I'll reply to
Jonathan and you.

Regards,
Ian.

[1] I have to say that I think quilt is just awful.  Perhaps your
mileage varies, but I thought quilt was awful by comparison with
*CVS*, when I first encountered it...

I know it can be work to learn new stuff, and of course it's a pain if
lots of people are advising you to learn different and mutually
incompatible new stuff, but anyone who is still using quilt will
probably benefit a lot from learning how to use gitish tools instead.