Re: Hurd-i386 and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64} removal

Carsten Schoenert, le sam. 13 avril 2019 11:51:51 +0200, a ecrit:
> > Please give up on Debian. They clearly have no interest in anything
> > non-linux or non-systemd, that is fully clear. Let's make a joint
> > effort to make a Guix release of Hurd (and kFreeBSD) happen. Or, if you
> > still want to continue using apt-style distributions, join Devuan.
> > Please, don't support the non-universal OS movement driven by Debian
> > people!
>
> I can't follow that style of discussion.

Please don't, Svante is only trolling here, please don't feed him.

> I haven't seen a broader supporting from the people who wanting these
> architectures to stay in Debian on some important packages.

I can only agree. I hear a lot of people saying that the Hurd port
existing is a great thing, but a lot less people helping with it.

(I do thank all the people who work on it without necessarily being
noticed).

> Both architectures haven't seen any major development in the past years

They have.

> for me as a maintainer of packages the workload on supporting these
> architectures between the new upstream releases costs a lot of time

Patching software should be handled upstream indeed.

> So I disagree on "One person is enough"

I meant only for the Debian-specific things, I am the only DD who
currently uses its key for signing packages, making CD images, etc.
That's what I meant by "the daily ports things".

For the non-Debian-specific things like patching packages, I am
thankfully really not alone, and I completely agree it can't be a
one-person thing.

Samuel