Re: is Wayland/Weston mature enough to be the default desktop choice in Buster?

On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 06:48:22PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On 2019/04/07 17:59, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > +1.  With GNOME not working even on some amd64 machines, it's not fit to be
> > the default.  Technical reasons aside, the UI is non-ergonomic and
> > counter-intuitive, has broken systray, and suffers from CSD.
> >
> > Once the black screen/crash problem is fixed, you may consider making
> > Wayland and/or GNOME the default again, but for Buster, that's a pretty bad
> > idea.
>
> You're kind of hijacking the thread there. Not sure if it's by accident
> though, the original question was about dropping wayland by default in
> favour of going back to xorg, not about dropping Gnome for something else.

Kind of, although only Gnome is in love with Wayland.

With Gnome's fallback gone, there are three main options (conflating other
DEs into one):

* Gnome on Wayland
* Gnome on 3D X
* XFCE/Mate/... on 2D X

The two first options are a compat nightmare (as shown on my hardware, both
old and new).  Meanwhile, XFCE's compositor is optional -- and if what you
want is Gnome, Mate is a nice contender here, that works everywhere.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Did ya know that typing "test -j8" instead of "ctest -j8"