Re: merged-/usr-via-symlinks damage control (was Re: usrmerge -- plan B?)

On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 03:23:09 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 05:49:24 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > So, as part of damage control I'm going to:
> >
> >   - include the Build-Tainted-By patches into dpkg 1.19.5.
>
> Done.
>
> >   - include a bug-script in dpkg for reportbug to report whether the
> >     system has been broken by the merged-/usr-via-symlinks hack.
>
> Done.
>
> >   - file a bug on reportbug to request reporting that for all packages.
>
> Done. <https://bugs.debian.org/923090>
>
> >   - file a bug on base-installer to request an option to install
> >     non-broken systems due to merged-/usr-via-symlinks.
>
> Done. <https://bugs.debian.org/923091>
>
> > I'm also pondering whether to implement checks for the broken
> > merged-/usr-via-symlinks within «dpkg --audit», even though I don't
> > really want to, as that would imply hardcoding Debian-specific
> > pathnames in there. :(
>
> I still have to think about this one. :/
>
> > And I'm probably going to end up writing a unmerge-usr-via-symlinks
> > script so that people with damaged systems can go back somewhat to a
> > sane state, and to open the possibility for a fully automated migration
> > to a proper and correct merged-/usr w/o all the problems above.
>
> And I might need to start on this soon enough. :(
>
> In addition, given that most probably Debian buster will end up
> installing broken systems by default. I might end up also looking into
> generating fixed minimal netinst images or mini netboot images with a
> fixed debootstrap, or I guess just cdebootstrap present which has
> sane behavior. But I would definitely not be able host the artifacts
> for those. :/

Oh, also mmdebstrap was defaulting to the broken merged-/usr-via-symlinks,
for which I filed <https://bugs.debian.org/914915>, which has been fixed
now by disabling it completely! I'm planning on switching all my
debootstrap usage to mmdebstrap anyway because it's superior in any
conceivable way. :) I could also see trying to get that forked d-i use
mmdebstrap, also for its speed.

Thanks,
Guillem