Re: Handling build-depends-indep for non-x86 source packages

    Alex> Hi,

    Alex> The following bug has come up and we would like some input
    Alex> from the multiarch and cross developers on how best to handle
    Alex> this case.

    Alex> In an ideal world all cross compilers would be available on
    Alex> all release architectures but I think it will be a while
    Alex> before we get there. My own efforts to get just all the cross
    Alex> binutils cleanly building on arm64 have stalled somewhat so in
    Alex> the meantime is there anything we can do to keep
    Alex> build-dependencies working on all arches?

Let me make sure I'm understanding the concern.

You want to build an arch: all firmware package so qemu can be used on
any host for a particular target.

In order to do that you need a compiler for the target, so you want that
target to be a  build-depends-indep for the package building the
firmware.

As a result that firmware package  will not be buildable on an arch that
is missing the cross compiler in question.
That seems inherent: if you need an arm compiler and m68k doesn't have
an arm compiler, you aren't going to be able to use m68k to build your
arm firmware.

Presumably since you're bringing up the issue something beyond that
breaks.  Do you run into testing migration or other issues if a
build-depends-indep package is not available on all arches?
What exactly is going wrong?