Re: package management symlink

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 07:20:23AM +0100, Sören Reinecke wrote:
With your help I want to make package installing/removing equal on all
linux systems without disturbing the diversity we have across linux
distributions. In order to do that we need just a symlink, no
replacement of existing software.

You need to create a Debian package that contains your symlink (or bash
script), and then either find someone to sponsor uploads of your package
into Debian, or become a Debian Maintainer or Developer to do so
yourself.

You can start reading about this stuff here:
https://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

You are probably out of time to do this in time for the next Debian
release, because our freeze for that release begins at the end of this
month.

That's the *how*: a short sentence on whether you *should*: reading the
page you provide, I don't think it's a good idea to actually do this.
I'm not convinced that having to remember different package manager
names is a significant problem for new people adopting a Linux
distribution. The name is a very small part of the differences between
the package managers (they have very different behaviour models, not
just names), and the package managers are a small part of all the
differences between distributions.

That said, if you want to pursue this, the route above is how to do it.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland