Is Access to Salsa restricted to a certain number of queries per time and host?

Hi,

I'm running a daily cron job on host blends.debian.net to gather machine
readable data from all blends packages.  The cron job fetches only the
following files

    debian/changelog
    debian/control
    debian/copyright
    debian/README.Debian
    debian/upstream/edam
    debian/upstream/metadata

(if the latter two exist) from about 2000 repositories.  These data are
consumed in UDD from where they are used in the Blends web sentinel.  The
script which is running can be found in Git[1].

Unfortunately the cron job seems to stop with

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gitlab/exceptions.py", line 251, in wrapped_f
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gitlab/mixins.py", line 48, in get
    server_data = self.gitlab.http_get(path, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gitlab/__init__.py", line 728, in http_get
    streamed=streamed, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gitlab/__init__.py", line 706, in http_request
    response_body=result.content)
gitlab.exceptions.GitlabHttpError: 429: b'Retry later\n'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/blends.debian.org/misc/machine_readable/fetch-machine-readable_salsa.py", line 106, in <module>
    project = gl.projects.get(pr.attributes['id']) # without this extra get repository_tree() fails
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gitlab/exceptions.py", line 253, in wrapped_f
    raise error(e.error_message, e.response_code, e.response_body)
gitlab.exceptions.GitlabGetError: 429: b'Retry later\n'

Once this has happened Git access to salsa seems to be completely
blocked from this host since I can not even

tille@blends:/tmp$ git clone https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website.git
Cloning into 'website'...
remote: Retry later
fatal: unable to access 'https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website.git/': The requested URL returned error: 429

(similar with git pull).  This problem seems to exist since 2018-05-27
(when the last complete set of data was created.  I wonder whether some
setting on Salsa was changed to prevent to frequent access to Salsa from
some specific IP address (I can perfectly access that repository from
other hosts) and what I can do to fetch these data instead.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

PS: Yes, I'm aware that this might be a question for Salsa support
tracker and I'll open a ticket there in case it turns out that there is
no better way to fetch this data.  My motivation to post it on Debian
devel is to get hints how to perform that query better and also give
a hint to the problem for others who also might try to fetch data from
Salsa (in replacement of other jobs running formerly on Alioth).

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/blob/master/misc/machine_readable/fetch-machine-readable_salsa.py

--
http://fam-tille.de