Re: Comma in Maintainer field

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 at 08:37:07 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Out of these there are clearly two bugs that violate our current [practices]:
>
> udd=# select distinct package, maintainer from packages where maintainer like '%>%,%'order by maintainer;
>      package      |                                                  maintainer
> ------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  gir1.0-gdata-0.0 | Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
>  libgdata7        | Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
>  libgdata-common  | Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
>  libgdata-dev     | Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
>  libgdata-doc     | Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>, Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
>  youtube-dl       | Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>,                                                                          +
>                   |  Holger Levsen <holger@debian.org>
> (6 rows)

src:libgdata had this bug in squeeze-security (version 0.6.4-2+squeeze1)
but in no other version tracked by UDD. That version has been outside
its support lifetime for years and will not be uploaded again, even if
this is considered to be a release-critical bug. I've checked that all
versions tracked by tracker.debian.org have a correct Maintainer. This
might have been a bug in the version of gnome-pkg-tools in squeeze,
or it might have been a mistake by the security team uploader.

youtube-dl seems to have this bug in jessie-backports only. It could be
fixed by a re-upload with only one maintainer. Bugs in backports are not
tracked in the Debian BTS[1] but I've contacted the backports mailing list
and the maintainers.

> I think we should start filing bug reports against packages
> that do not match our current understanding of that field
> (and lintian should throw an error about this).

It already does:

E: youtube-dl source: maintainer-address-malformed Rog??rio Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>, Holger Levsen <holger@debian.org>

(and I assume it would do the same for the ancient version of src:libgdata
that is affected) but lintian.debian.org doesn't check backports,
(old)*stable(-security)? and other non-development suites.

> Currently that definitely fits the last query but if we
> intend to enhance the maintainer field to some later point
> in time we should also ask the other 5 maintainers above
> to add quotes around their names.

Policy doesn't actually define a quoting mechanism, and neither do
deb-src-control(5) or deb-control(5), so it's ambiguous whether a name
or name part in double quotes is to be taken literally or treated as a
quoted string. (See also src:openarena, co-maintained by
«Bruno "Fuddl" Kleinert <fuddl@debian.org>», whose name gets interpreted
as «Bruno Fuddl Kleinert» by tracker.debian.org.)

Perhaps the designers of dpkg intended the Maintainer and each
comma-separated Uploader to be an RFC 822 "mailbox", but Policy doesn't
actually *say* they are, and neither do the format man pages; so it
would seem to be a valid interpretation that a package with

    Uploaders: "William H. Gates, III" <...>, Steve Ballmer <...>

has *three* uploaders of which the first is syntactically invalid, namely:

* «"William H. Gates»
* «Steve Ballmer <...>»

(This is clearly not what was intended.)

    smcv