Re: MBF proposal: python modules that fail to import

Hi,

Em 15-04-2018 15:56, Helmut Grohne escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I was surprised to find a python module that failed to import thinking
> that our qa would catch this. So I wondered how many other python
> modules would fail to import and started a little yak shaving journey.
>
> It turns that this happens for 251 python modules. Since failure to
> import the main module of a python library indicates that the modules
> doesn't work at all, I propose to file this at severity serious.
>
> Actually, there is autodep8 at ci.debian.net testing this already. It
> has a whitelist
> (https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/debian-ci-config/blob/master/cookbooks/debci/files/default/whitelist-python.txt)
> of around 800 packages opting in to import testing. Unfortunately, the
> results do not seem to be synced into tracker.d.o. The main difficulty
> is determining the name of the python module. Sometimes capitalization
> differs from the package name. Other times a completely different name
> is used. Thus I am attaching a genlist.py that tries to compute the
> module name and it succeeds in about 4300 packages.
>
> Thus I tried installing and importing all of these and figured that 251
> packages would fail. The process of installing and importing is rather
> simple and implemented in autodep8 already, so I'm not attaching my
> crude hacks here. Nonetheless I am attaching a draft of the proposed bug
> reports since each of them includes a specific error. I also include a
> dd-list of affected packages.
>
> The most common issues is missing dependencies. Very often,
> pkg_resources is missing. Also six, numpy, tkinter and distutils are
> missing several times. A fair number of strange exceptions is included
> as well. When dealing with C extensions, we are faced with two
> segmentation faults, one assertion failure and three missing symbols.

Package python3-dj-static is on the dd-list. But I can import it.

# on a bananapi

$ python3
Python 3.5.3 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:11:04)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170124] on linux
>>> import static     # dependency
>>> import dj_static  # module

If I understood correct (about the test), please note the diff:

python3-dj-static  # Debian package
dj_static          # module

The package name uses '-' and the module '_'.