Re: Hi, I am blind

Hi,

Le 14/04/2018 à 08:56, adri Orjales Vidal a écrit :
> Hello, I am blind and I need to use a screen reader so I can use my pc. I am tired to use windows, and I wanted to start using Devian, but here I saw that the screen reader Orca is kilometers away from NVDA, non visual desktop access, wich is a windows screen reader very fast. NVDA is open source, and it is developed over python

What kind of problems do you experience to say that Orca is less good
than NVDA? In what context did you use it? You have to know that Orca
good working depends of the desktop environment you use. Hypra uses MATE
on Debian, and we set a bindings profile similar as NVDA one. Our
regular users say that it is not different from NVDA, provided we do an
adequate configuration. And more stable than Windows (less updates,
notifications, etc).

> I think that if you are able to add it in Devian I will be the happiest man in the world!!

It is absolutely impossible. Because NVDA uses the accessibility stack
of Windows, different from Linux. So writing again major part of the
code would be needed. However, it is important Orca, which offers an
excellent basis, to be improved. For this, we need your feedback. But
again, it may depend on what you installed and used exactly. That is to
avoid users to need to handle these problems that Hypra provides a full
configured system.

> If it is not possible, please you should update Orca, the screen readers are more useful when are low level of system development, so you must change the way to make it really useful

Be aware of the fact Orca is developped by just one person and Hypra
helps as we can. We have significant less resources by NVDA, funded by
Mozilla and so on. So you cannot require things, free, not funded, and
without giving details and staying general. The todo list is enormous
due to the fact many developers do applications with accessibility bugs
(Firefox, Libreoffice). While we can do priorities, users need to tell
us which one, and precisely.

> Please, blind people need help in Devian based distributions like itself

And Debian need users contributions. Debian is a free software with
volunteers and not supported by fundings for accessibility. So convince
Mozilla to help us, to stop coding nonsense features inaccessible, and
you will see the result will be neast.