Re: Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s) [and 1 more messages]

Mike Gabriel writes ("Re: Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s)"):
> On  Di 03 Apr 2018 20:15:31 CEST, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > This seems encouraging for people like me who want to continue to use
> > trayer.
>
> Hmmm... The trayer package depends on GTK-2. I think that this will be
> your real problem in 2-3 years from now.
>
> And... With some GTK knowledge, it could probably easily be ported to
> GTK3 and AppIndicator + Xembed support.

OK, I guess we can cross that bridge when we come to it.  It doesn't
sound too awful.

> > Is this a general property of SNI indicators ?
> > My n-m applet in trayer does have a right click menu.
>
> The nm-applet in Debian has AppIndicator support disabled. If you
> build it with AppIndicator (see my patch in [1]) and you enable the
> AppIndicator code path with "nm-applet --indicator", you will see that
> the left-click and right-click menus have been merged.

This seems undesirable to me.  As a user, will I be able to continue
to use the xembed approach indefinitely ?

> > Is there somewhere I can see a rationale which explains why the
> > original protocol is wrong and why the replacement will not, itself,
> > need to be replaced ?
>
> The rationale is mainly about who does the X11 rendering [2].

Thanks.  I read your link.  Perhaps my use of the word `rationale' was
unclear.  I meant, what is the reason.  "In SNI the panel does the
rendering" is part of the design but does not explain why that
design choice was made.

The page you refer to says simply:

I discussed this when I wrote this:

> > The motive for this change seems to have been to increase the
> > behavioural uniformity of things in panels, but given that the plan
> > involves changing every applet to use a new library, that could have
> > been done without a change of protocol.

So as I say the desire for uniformity does not seem to explain the
change in protocol.

> Furthermore, Xembed is X11. In Wayland, I have heard, there is no
> Wembed.

There must surely be a way in Wayland for one application to swallow
or contain another.  This is far from am unusual requirement.  (The
details of the Xembed tray protocol would have to have been redone, I
suppose.)

It seems to me that the new proto is strictly worse than the old one.
It has fewer capabilities.  In particular, it is not possible, with
the new protocol, to make applets which deviate from the uniform SNI
UI.  It is unarguable that such deviation is sometimes desirable,
since no doubt there are users who prefer it.

ISTM therefore that the old protocol needs to be retained
indefinitely.  That might mean that in Wayland some applets (that want
a richer UI) run in Wayland's X11 emulation, but I don't see a problem
with that.  Nor do I see a problem with retaining that indefinitely.

Mike Gabriel writes ("Re: Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s)"):
> The overall difference between both approaches is about who does the
> rendering of the systray icon and its menu.

Thanks for the explanation.  I had understood this from reading the
earlier links.

> In Ayatana Indicators, we will provide a system indicator that will
> become container for xembed based applications. Furthermore, MATE's
> notification area applet (that hosts xembedded apps currently) is not
> planned to be removed any time soon (AFAIK).

Jolly good.

> However, when people start writing a new application and want to dock
> it to the panel... They should not use xembed anymore.

I don't think I agree, for the reasons discussed above.

> And: I am fully aware of the xembed-removal history in GNOME/Unity7
> [2]. That was not fun at all 5 years ago. We won't copy that
> over-assumptuous flaw again. Legacy support is important, so xembed
> support needs to stay,

Thanks.

>  while people should be encourage to go the
> AppIndicator way for new and actively maintained applications.

So far, as I say, I don't see particular reasons for this.

I think that application authors should be encouraged to use whatever
interface seems most convenient for them.  If the applet-facing APIs
provided for SNI meet their needs, and are convenient, then the applet
author can choose SNI.

If on the other hand, the SNI APIs are not convenient, or the applet
author wants a richer UI than supported by SNI, then the xembed
approach may be better.

An applet written in Tcl/Tk is a good example of a case where xembed
is probably better, since Tcl's tk-tktray package provides an
interface which is simultaneously extremely convenient for the
programmer, and powerful and flexible.  It is hard to see how the
dbus-based SNI approach would fit nicely into Tcl/Tk.

> Hope that soothes things a bit,

Yes.  Thanks for taking the time to engage and explain.

I still don't quite agree with all the design decisions here, as you
will see, but it's not my design or my code.  If I can continue to use
xembed indefinitely then I'm content.

Regards,
Ian.