Re: Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s)

Mike Gabriel writes ("Re: Upcoming shift to Ayatana (App)Indicator(s)"):
> The nice part of AppIndicator shared lib: if no SNI provider is
> running on a desktop, xembed gets used. (Very helpful on my favourite
> desktop shell i3). So, as application developer, you can drop your own
> xembed code, switch to Ayatana AppIndicator and get the xembed
> fallback for free.

This seems encouraging for people like me who want to continue to use
trayer.

> Only disadvantage: application indicators don't have a right-click
> menu, only a left-click or just-click menu. Also in xembed fallback
> mode.

Is this a general property of SNI indicators ?
My n-m applet in trayer does have a right click menu.

> Ah, ok. I see. This is painful, but alas. The xembed approach is
> really on its verge of extinction. However, when Ubuntu dropped xembed
> support in 12.10, I think it was, there was quite some noise going
> through the community.

Is there somewhere I can see a rationale which explains why the
original protocol is wrong and why the replacement will not, itself,
need to be replaced ?

Ian.