Re: Removing packages perhaps too aggressively?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 11:10:43AM +0100, Andrej Shadura wrote:

> >> Why not? I *was* already doing just that, but with an RM bug filed
> >> elsewhere, I was unable to know it's about to be removed. I would have
> >> reacted and closed it before the package's got removed.

But #871004 wasn't filed elsewhere - it spent a month as a non-RC bug
against Hyde itself.

> I hope you're not going to suggest I subscribe to bug reports for each
> and every package I value so that I don't miss a potential removal notice?

The rc-alert tool in devscripts fits in this gap, it gives a list of
all open RC bugs against locally-installed packages, and the output
can be diffed with a VCS to see which bugs are newly added to the RC
list.

It wouldn't have spotted #871004, but having a policy of filing
"should this be removed?" bugs as RC would solve that. IMHO, it was
correct that the mass-bug-filing including #871004 wasn't RC, because
it would just lengthen the list of RC bugs against packages that
already have an RC bug.

Steve