Re: CTTE decision on vendor-specific patch series (bug #904302)

On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 19:22:09 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ==== Resolution ====
[…]
> The Committee therefore resolves that:
>
> 1. Any use of dpkg's vendor-specific patch series feature is a bug for
>    packages in the Debian archive (including contrib and non-free).
>
>    This should be implemented in Debian Policy by declaring that a
>    package SHOULD NOT contain a non-default series file.
>
> 2. After Buster is released, use of the vendor-specific patch series
>    feature is forbidden in the Debian archive.
>
>    This should be implemented in Debian Policy by declaring that a
>    package MUST NOT contain a non-default series file.
>
> ==== End of resolution ====

As I already mentioned in debian-derivatives
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2018/11/msg00002.html>:

  ,---
  And to make this crystal clear, I have no plan whatsoever to remove
  this feature from dpkg itself, so derivatives will still be able to
  use it for themselves and their own derivatives going forward. I'll
  probably even improve upon it, so that even more code can be turned
  into declarative files instead of ad-hoc gook all over the place.
  `---

For example starting with 1.19.2, the series file pathname used is
printed now when applying patches, and it was properly documented.

Regards,
Guillem