Re: Sending using my @debian.org in gmail

On 2018-11-30 12:59 p.m., Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-11-30 12:49:02 -0500 (-0500), Alexandre Viau wrote:
> [...]
>> If we wanted, we could largely limit this with more restrictive
>> debian.org DNS records.
> [...]
>
> _And_ restrict those with @debian.org addresses to only sending them
> through specific MTAs. Received headers indicate your message to
> which I'm responding, just for example, was sent through GMail so
> the change you're suggesting would preclude your current pattern of
> E-mail usage.

Of course.

I just want to make sure that we know this is a choice.

Debian could provide MTAs and force DDs to use them if they want to send
from a @debian email. I would consider this reasonable.

DMARC allows to do this very slowly and progressively with warnings and
such.

The "flexibility" of sending mails from any MTA isn't really relevant if
you ask me. I could configure gmail to send mails trough Debian-hosted
SMTP servers and still use gmail to send my emails.

The real answer to "everyone can send from debian.org addresses" isn't:
"this is a generic email problem". The answer is: "Debian has this
problem because it wants to support everyone's workflows and configs".

It just isn't true that the common user wants to be able to send emails
from any MTA. Power users might, but the common user is happy to
configure its mail client however you tell him to.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Viau
aviau@debian.org