Re: Handling library with unstable ABI in experimental -- suggestions?

El domingo, 25 de noviembre de 2018 12:40:34 -03 Simon McVittie escribió:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 23:45:28 -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone has suggestions for naming the library package in
> > experimental in such a way that it handles the currently unstable ABI
> > and also leaves the way clear for a properly named library package once
> > the ABI stabilizes and it becomes appropriate to upload to unstable.
>
> One thing you could do would be to generate a versioned Provides for
> a virtual package name that incorporates the upstream version, perhaps
> something like libfoo0-0.1.2 (= ${binary:Version}) if the library
> is libfoo.so.0 version 0.1.2-3, then make the .symbols file generate
> dependencies on that virtual package name instead of or as well as the
> library package's actual name?
>
> If there are dependent packages also in experimental, then every upload
> would need a batch of binNMUs (or quite possibly sourceful uploads if
> the dependent packages make use of the ABIs that broke), but that's
> going to be the case anyway for any shared library with an unstable ABI.
>
> In the release that has a stable ABI, you could set the dependency for
> all symbols to be libfoo0 (>= the first stable release), so that old
> unstable versions won't satisfy the generated dependency.
>
> I've done this for gtk+4.0 in git, although not uploaded the result
> yet. In fact gtk+4.0 also changes its SONAME with every upstream release
> at the moment, currrently libgtk-4.so.0.9400.0 for version 3.94.0,
> so I used libgtk-4-0.9400.0 for the virtual package; but the packaging
> has been done as though it was libgtk-4.so.0, which will be its stable
> SONAME eventually.

Just to chime in: yes, that's a pretty nice way to handle it, specially as you
keep it in experimental. Ping if you need more help.

--
porque no respeta el orden natural en el que se leen las cosas
>¿por qué top-posting es tan molesto?
>>top-posting
>>>¿cuál es la peor molestia en los emails de respuesta?

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/