Re: wxWidgets GTK+ 3 build available

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 03:26:36PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 20:31:03 -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:
> > 2) If your package uses wxGLCanvas, it won't work under Wayland.  This is
> > due to wxGLCanvas (currently) requiring X11 to function.  This can be worked
> > around by forcing the GDK backend to X11.  Here's one example of how this
> > has been done: [1]
>
> If there's already a wrapper shell script or something,
> setting GDK_BACKEND=x11 is OK; but I think the
> preferred way to force the use of X11 even in a Wayland
> environment is to make the C/C++/Python/etc. code call
> gdk_set_allowed_backends("x11"), available since GTK+ 3.10 (for example
> https://github.com/vim/vim/commit/f80663f17b2f2499b45eb4467088704c8298c385
> does this).

That's sensible for gvim since it's using the GTK+ and GDK libraries
directly.

However applications using wxWidgets don't usually link to the GDK
library directly, and so patching them to call
gdk_set_allowed_backends("x11") would need wider changes than using
setenv() does.

Patching wxWidgets itself to call gdk_set_allowed_backends("x11") seems
undesirable because we'd have to do it unconditionally because we can't
tell if wxGLCanvas will be used or not at the point where we need to set
it if it is.  In other words, we'd have to force all wxWidgets-using
applications to use the x11 backend.

(There is a wxGLApp class which it might be possible to hook this up to,
but it's not covered in the wxWidgets API docs and so almost nothing
actually uses it).

> In particular please note that setenv() and g_setenv() are not safe
> to call from multi-threaded code[1] so any calls to [g_]setenv() must
> usually happen as early as possible in main(), before calling into
> libraries that might create another thread.

Applications using wxWidgets don't usually link to glib either, so
setenv() >> g_setenv() for this purpose.

You'd want to set this as early as possible anyway since it needs to
happen before any wxWidgets GUI initialisation happens.

Cheers,
    Olly