Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Nov 22, Matthew Vernon <matthew@debian.org> wrote:

> > In the worst case it will fail explaining that some local change (in
> > a directory which should not have been modified by the local admin, BTW)
> > needs to be addressed by the local admin and then it can be restarted
> > and continue its work.
> Could you expand on this? I'm responsible for enough systems with enough
> "interesting historical artifacts" that I'd bet that pretty much every
> directory has been modified on at least some of them.
usrmerge cannot convert a system which has two different binaries (not
symlinks) with the same name in {/usr,}/s?bin/, because it cannot know
which one should be kept.
This condition does not happen on regular systems: only if somebody
manually copied something to {/usr,}/s?bin/, which is not supposed to
happen.

--
ciao,
Marco