Re: Rust now available on 14 Debian architectures

În vin., 2 nov. 2018, 18:49 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de a scris:

Hi!

This week we managed to bootstrap the Rust compiler for four more Debian
architectures [1]. This means, that the Rust compiler is now available
on a total of 14 Debian architectures with all of the release architectures
covered.

The newly added architectures are:

 - mips
 - mips64el
 - mipsel
 - powerpcspe

This is awesome!

This is the result by the combined effort of a lot of talented people, in
particular working on LLVM upstream which fixed many many bugs in the MIPS
and PowerPC backends as well as adding support for the PowerPCSPE sub-target.

Are those patches in the process of being / planned to be upstreamed?

To all of these people: Thank you!

The potential next bootstrap candidates are riscv64 and x32. I don't know about
the exact status of the riscv64 port but x32 had a crashing Rust compiler last time
I tested it which could also just be a result of LLVM bugs. I haven't tested with
the latest LLVM version yet, which is what I will do next.

The other potential candidate for Rust support is m68k. There are ongoing
efforts to add m68k to both LLVM [2] and Rust [3] and while many people think
that supporting modern Linux software on 30 year-old hardware is insane, I think
it's actually fun :-).

We might also be able to re-add the Alpha [4] and Itanium [5] backends and
consequently add support for these architectures to the Rust compiler as the
latter is the smaller of the two efforts, but I guess the LLVM people will
chase us to Mars for trying to do that :-).

Anyway, enjoy having Rust available on even more architectures and have fun!

Thanks,
Adrian

> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=rustc&suite=unstable
> [2] https://reviews.llvm.org/D50314