Re: Should libpam-elogind Provide libpam-systemd ?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 03:39:10PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 05:41:10PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Should it also Conflict libpam-systemd ?
>
> Does it somehow prevent the admin from configuring one or the other in pam?

Conflicts would greatly simplify packaging, but I'm afraid we need
coinstallability at least for upgrades.  With d-i installing systemd, the
user needs to be able to switch to sysvinit -- and, horrors, some might
want to go the other way.

It'd be damage to allow two loginds running at the same time, thus what
about:
* the "systemd" package starts its logind only if systemd is pid 1
* elogind starts its logind only if pid 1 is not systemd

That would handle runtime dependencies, I wonder how to handle them
apt-wise.  Alas, the only robust idea I have so far doesn't work with
multiarch, thus is worthless.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Have you heard of the Amber Road?  For thousands of years, the
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Romans and co valued amber, hauled through the Europe over the