Re: Should libpam-elogind Provide libpam-systemd ?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 05:41:10PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
Should it also Conflict libpam-systemd ?

Does it somehow prevent the admin from configuring one or the other in pam?

(Our draft package ships libpam_elogind.so, but there are some
difficulties with pam configuration ending up referring to both
libpam_elogind.so and libpam_systemd.so and generating warnings, and a
few packages seem to explicitly refer to pam_systemd.so, for instance
lightdm's /etc/pam.d/lightdm-greeter.  If we can't resolve that we may
need to ship the pam module as libpam_systemd.so and that might
involve Replaces as well as Conflicts.)

I'd rather see an additional module that just calls one of the two for automated config (or via alternatives?), and the ability to manually configure anything else.