Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 11:36:11AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 2:18 AM Holger Levsen wrote:
>
> > ... and that's what I meant when I said not much has changed: what was
> > bad about about the idea of Debian paying people I still think is bad
> > today. And I don't think I'm alone here.
>
> I also agree with Debian not paying members for their contributions.
>
> > Money is a cause of friction (at best) and as such I firmly believe it's
> > better we keep money/paying contributors out of Debian *itself*.
>
> I note that we are paying Outreachy interns using Debian funds. I
> personally do not have a problem with this as long as it remains a
> mechanism for growing the community rather than paying insiders.

I disagree, in both cases.

Debian should not pay anything through an organization that has race, gender
and nationality discrimination as its core purpose.  Accepting code produced
this way is acceptable (as would be contributions from anyone), but
providing monetary support for such ideology is not something I can speak of
positively.

On the other hand, using some funds for an activity vital for a good part of
the users which doesn't find enough volunteers, while controversial, is not
fundamentally bad.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Have you heard of the Amber Road?  For thousands of years, the
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Romans and co valued amber, hauled through the Europe over the