Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> The question
> here was simply about discoverability. If you're a Debian user just
> beginning exploration of public cloud alternatives, should we make it
> easy for you to launch LTS instead of stable?

I don't see any reason to make it hard, but it should definitely be shown
less prominently than the current stable release. And the difference in
the status must be clearly communicated.

> The perception, afaict, is that LTS only exists because people are paid
> to work on it. There has not traditionally been sufficient interest
> within Debian to sustain support of a release for 5 years, so some
> companies have provided financial incentives. That's fine, but potential
> somewhat fragile. If that funding goes away, does LTS go away?

LTS has been running for 4.5 years and rely on many sponsors so that nothing
stops when one sponsor goes away. It's not that fragile currently.

> Is LTS work, for pay, going to drain resources from volunteer work?

My experience has rather been the opposite. Most paid LTS contributors do
between 10 and 30 hours per month for LTS and in multiple cases it
allows them to spend many more hours of volunteer work in the project.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer