Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 06:58:14 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 08:33:47PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>>MAILTO was the main thing that I remember missing in terms of pure
>>functionality.
>
> This is not a complete substitute for all uses of MAILTO, but I found
> the following useful so I share it in case you weren't aware of it.
>
> Define a service specifically designed for sending status emails:
>
> status-email-user@.service:
>> [Service]
>> Type=oneshot
>> ExecStart=-/usr/local/bin/systemd-email %i
>> User=nobody
>> Group=systemd-journal

`nobody` is not a particularly good user to use for this. Should you have
any non-mappable uids (like user namespaces or some nfs configurations),
they will appear owned by `nobody`. You should probably use instead:

DynamicUser=yes
SupplementaryGroups=systemd-journal

--
Saludos