Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 08:33:47PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
MAILTO was the main thing that I remember missing in terms of pure
functionality.

This is not a complete substitute for all uses of MAILTO, but I found
the following useful so I share it in case you weren't aware of it.

Define a service specifically designed for sending status emails:

status-email-user@.service:
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=-/usr/local/bin/systemd-email %i
User=nobody
Group=systemd-journal

(I also switch on a little status LED I have with another ExecStart
line)

/usr/local/bin/systemd-email:
systemctl status --full "$1" | mail -s "unit $1 failed" root

Put an OnFailure= line in systemd units that you want to mail you if
they go wrong

[Unit]
OnFailure=status-email-user@%n.service

I think I probably got this from the Arch wiki and it suffers many of
the problems you outlined in your follow-on paragraph (needing a
separate unit, to the timer, an external shell script, etc.)

Since I switched to this, I've made the scripts I run on timers much
more verbose in the non-failure case, because I know I am not going
to generate mail. And this has turned out to be a good habit, because
I have a lot of useful information in my journal.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland