Re: Package not compatible with old systemd

Am 18.09.18 um 09:21 schrieb Ondrej Novy:
> Hi,
>
> my package src:swift is not compatible with old systemd, because I'm
> using CacheDirectory in unit file. CacheDirectory is supported from
> systemd 235.
>
> I think correct solution is to add to binary package this relation:
> Breaks: systemd (<< 235~)
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo) said it's wrong and correct solution is:
> Depends: systemd (>= 235~) | sysv-init | openrc
>
> I don't currently depend on systemd, or any other init system.
>
> I think my solution is correct, because Swift works with any init system
> and I want to only say "it doesn't work with older systemd". I don't
> think it's correct to list all possible init systems in Depends.

I assume you (re)start your service in postinst? In this case you need a
running systemd >= 235 at that point.
We do re-exec systemd in postinst, but a versioned Breaks or Conflicts
does not give you the guarantee that systemd.postinst has run before
your postinst.

This is not an issue for distros which do offline updates, but for
online updates this is problematic.

My advice would be, to only use features that systemd from stable provides.

Regards,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?