Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:31:40AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 09:18:13PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > Dear Adrian,
>
> Dear Chris,
>
> > > This is fake news.
> >
> > Please try and avoid casual use of this term on Debian lists.
> >
> > Whilst I understand your meaning and intentions, the term has now been
> > so overused and overapplied and has been evacuated of all useful
> > meaning.
> >
> > Indeed, its use now appears to only distract & unnecessarily antagonise
> > readers and should probably be considered an illegal move in civilised
> > or otherwise productive conversation.
>
> I thought this would would have been less offensive than the normal
> "This is a lie." when a statement is the exact opposite of the
> truth (compare [1] with the claim "no upstream release since 2013"),
> but as non-native speaker I accept your explanation that I was wrong
> on that.

I agree, no one likes being called a liar, but "This is untrue", "this
is false", and "this is a falsehood" are more neutral than "this is a
lie", because a lie is the product of lying, and lying includes the
intent to deceive and/or mislead.  Better to allow for the possibility
that someone was mistaken or misspoke ;-)

Cheers,
Nicholas