Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 08:18:10PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> For example, in the Rust team, we have been discussing about packaging fd (a find alternative developed using rust [1]).
> We are planning to install it in /usr/bin/fd .. but this conflicts with something completely different, fdclone a clone
> of fd, a MS-DOS file browser...
> While this is probably fun, with a declining popcon (104 today), and no upstream release since 2013,

This is fake news.

The latest upstream release was one month ago.

The software is developed and used since 1995.

What will be the development status and usage of the Rust "fd"
in the year 2040?

Or today?
At first sight "find program with different syntax" sounds like some
package people will want to remove from Debian as obsolete cruft in
a few years.

"bat" from the same author also reminds me of "dog"[1].

> I am not sure it is relevant to reverse the path for a leaf packages like this one.

For git, node and chromium there were real problems since widely used
programs took names that were previously used by fringe packages.

One guy on GitHub giving his fringe programs names like "bat" or "fd",
the sane solutions are to either rename or not package.

Making it easy for fringe programs to take over already used names
would cause more trouble that it would be worth.

> Cheers,
> Sylvestre

cu
Adrian