Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On September 9, 2018 9:36:01 PM UTC, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
>❦  9 septembre 2018 21:53 +0100, Ian Jackson
><ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
>
>>> The current policy maximizes discomfort for all parts involved in
>the
>>> name of creating equality where it does not actually exist, and this
>
>>> does not help anybody.
>>
>> I think it did create equality in that the inconvenience for each
>> maintainer/user of the offending packages was similar.
>
>There were no users of the ax25's node binary (and almost no users for
>the package, as demonstrated later). The inconvenience was shifted
>entirely on the users of the nodejs package. Our motto is to care about
>our users, not to inconvenience them for the sake of non-existing
>users.

That's not the typical case the policy serves.  If you don't like the nodejs decision, pick one or more of the TC or nodejs upstream to be annoyed with.  TC could have done whatever they wanted in that case.

Personally, I've been involved in one of these cases that only affected two minor leaf packages and the maintainers worked it out.  The "or both have to rename" part of the policy was a good motivation to try and work something out.

Scott K