Re: HELP WANTED: security review / pam experts for su transition

Hello again,

My previous mail didn't result in any feedback, so let me try again
with some more detailed questions that might be easier to discuss
related to the PAM configuration of su (and su-l).

As people are likely aware, the su takeover has now happened and
login (src:shadow) no longer ships su in favour of it being shipped
in util-linux (src:util-linux) instead.

The /etc/pam.d/su configuration was carried over directly from
the old src:shadow (login) su, and might be less then ideal for
the util-linux su implementation. The new /etc/pam.d/su-l configuration
didn't exist before, but mostly just includes the su pam config for now.
Mainly mentioning su-l because we have the option to differentiate
between what pam config we want for 'su -' vs 'su'.

1/
One new issue that has bitten some people is that shadow su used to,
even when you ask for a new clean environment, still copy over
DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY. Apparently some people relied on that even
though X doesn't really give you any real privileges separation.
On fedora the su pam configuration includes pam_xauth which I assume
should solve the same problem. Should we add pam_xauth to /etc/pam.d/su
as well? (For now it's just mentioned in util-linux.NEWS and left to the
user to edit the pam configuration as they find suitable, but if we
can't even figure out the right choice I doubt users will.)

2/
There are some longstanding issues with the pam configuration which
existed before the switch, but seems reasonable to adress still.
For example #711104 asks for 'su -' to reset umask. Should we
include pam_umask? Maybe even in /etc/pam.d/su so both 'su' and 'su -'
gets umask reset?
cf. how the carried over /etc/pam.d/su already contains pam_limits.

3/
The fedora pam configuration seems to contain several more differences.
Anyone interested in investigating and comparing them? Possibly our
ancient su pam config should get a complete overhaul, rather than just
poking at details one by one.

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson