Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

* Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> [180724 09:49]:
> On Di, Jul 24, 2018 at 01:19:35 +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> writes:
> > > He certainly should NOT rename any parts of the package without
> > > upstream consent.
> > Why not? I can see an argument about not confusing users (though
> > transitional packages / a weboob-offensive could be made for the old
> > names / etc), but I don't think that's where you're going here.
>
> Well, upstream has chosen these names. Besides from the fact that the
> project and its applications are known by these names (how would you tag the
> package, so that someone who knows the project would find the right package
> with apt or apt-file?) it has something to do with politeness (in my
> opinion). If you wish to package the work of others you should use the right
> names (we don’t have any name clash).

While I agree that renaming the files in an arbitrary Debian package
should not be done without good reason, I do not agree that it should
not be done.  I believe the names in this package provide more than
sufficient justification to carry a local Debian fork (as was done for
Firefox/Iceweasel for many years for a different reason).

However, the maintainer of weboob has clearly expressed that he is not
willing and/or does not have the resources to maintain a local Debian
fork, so I did not suggest this.

...Marvin