Re: A message from CMake upstream: announcing dh-cmake

On Sat, 07 Jul 2018 00:25:15 +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 04:40:44PM -0400, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> > On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 21:00 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > If the libraries in question are DFSG-free themselves, there's no
> > > DFSG issue and you don't need to remove them from the tarball (and
> > > we'd generally encourage not modifying the upstream tarball
> > > unnecessarily for upload to Debian).  The policy about bundling is
> > > separate from the DFSG. Of course it'd be incumbent on whoever's
> > > doing the Debian upload to actually check the licensing status.
> > Thank you Colin, this is good to know. In that case, I will investigate
> > VTK's DFSG issues when I get a chance. If there's something in there
> > with a licensing issue, then we as upstream would like to fix it.
> Whilst everything Colin wrote is true, there is also the detail that we
> do a copyright and license check for every file shipped in the tarball.
> If there are too many convenience copies this can easily outgrow the
> patience (or more simply the available time) of the maintainer, at which
> point repacking the upstream tarball is way simpler, easier and quicker.
> It's a convenience call the maintainer decides, but one that IMHO always
> ought to be done because with our current tooling removing files from
> the upstream tarball is an automated process that takes seconds, where
> the license check easily takes much more.

In addition to what Colin and Mattia said, repackaging/removing
convenience copies is sometimes also done for other reasons, e.g.
- when the embedded files take a huge percentage of the package size
- to make sure they are really not used during the build process

In cases where third-party files are not removed for DFSG reasons,
usually the version is not created with a +dfsg suffix but frequently
with +ds (debian source).

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe