Re: A message from CMake upstream: announcing dh-cmake

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 11:59:58AM -0400, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> I have a question about this (and I apologize if this is slightly off
> topic): VTK includes "convenience copies" of third-party libraries it
> uses to avoid "dependency hell", and also because we've made
> modifications to them that haven't yet been upstreamed. I know that on
> Debian it's not allowed to *use* these libraries (and we have flags to
> use the system versions instead), but do they have to be removed from
> the tarball entirely to comply with DFSG?

If the libraries in question are DFSG-free themselves, there's no DFSG
issue and you don't need to remove them from the tarball (and we'd
generally encourage not modifying the upstream tarball unnecessarily for
upload to Debian).  The policy about bundling is separate from the DFSG.
Of course it'd be incumbent on whoever's doing the Debian upload to
actually check the licensing status.