Re: Versioned dependencies and maintainer scripts

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 08:04:01AM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 at 17:05:54 -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> > Packages that will use dh_installsystemduser will have maintainer
> > scripts that will depend on the next relese of init-system-helpers.
> > dh_installsystemduser will then inject a versioned dependency using the
> > ${misc:Depends} substitution in debian/control.
> >
> > Is that enough to ensure that postinst and postrm maintainer scripts are
> > run with the right version of init-system-helpers available?  Should I
> > be using Pre-Depends instead?
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#summary-of-ways-maintainer-scripts-are-called
>
> For the postinst, you can rely on the updated init-system-helpers being
> at least unpacked (which should be enough, because i-s-h is Essential,
> so it's required to provide its core functionality while merely unpacked
> and not yet configured).

Additionally, unless you have a circular dependency involved somewhere
(and you really should try to avoid that if you can), then the package
will also be configured, so all will be good.

(All that to say that I agree and that no, you shouldn't need
Pre-Depends here)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab