Re: concerns about Salsa

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:24:20AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> My personal experience is that there is an interesting cycle of scale
> here.
[...]

This entire email is roughly what I was trying to say, only (as usual
for Russ) much more clearly put.  Thanks.

> More broadly, one useful way to think about the mission of a Linux
> distribution is to make all the things our users *don't* care about
> effortless and simple, so that they can invest all of their energy and
> attention into the one or two things they *do* care about.  Trying to get
> them to package those few things that they care about deeply is more
> dubious and often doesn't add much value for them.

Yep.  And note that this is not to say that there is no value in
packaging things that we have chosen to run in other ways, because
different users care about the fine details of any given thing to
varying extents; we can still very usefully serve those who just want a
package that works out of the box.