Re: [1/2] MBF: Defunct alioth addresses in the Maintainer: field (serious)

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 05:34:10PM +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> A lot of now defunct alioth addresses are used in the Maintainer:
> field. This makes the packages rc-buggy for an invalid address.
>
> To create awareness about that issue, also to provide suggestions on
> how to resolve this I intend to do a MBF using the following message:

Thanks for doing this detailed work - which is very timely and important
to ensure that communication paths within Debian remain open.

> as you've probably heard, Debian's alioth services are shutting down.
> This affects your package [% package %] since the address [%
> alioth_list %] used in the Maintainer: field was not transferred to the
> alioth-lists service that provides a continuation for the lists in the
> @lists.alioth.debian.org domain.
>
> Addresses that were not migrated have been disabled a few days ago. As

A bit more than a few days ago now - the migration was on 14th April

> a result your package is now in violation of a "must" in the Debian
> policy (3.3, working email address), making it unfit for release.
>
> Please fix this before long. Among other reasons, keep in mind bug
> reports and important notifications about your package might not reach
> you.
>
> Your options:
>
> * Upload another version with a new maintainer address of your choice,
>
> or
>
> * Migrate the list the new system. This is still possible,
                   ^ to                                   ^:

[these changes apply to the other mail too]

>   please appoint a Debian developer as a list owner first, then
>   contact the alioth lists migration team <admin@alioth-lists.debian.net>
>   and provide all the necessary information.
>
>   More information about the new service can be found here:
>
> The first option is probably suitable only if the address was used just
> in a small number of packages since this requires an upload for each of
> them. To our knowledge, the usage count of [% alioth_list %] is [% count %].

I think I would leave it to package maintainers to decide whether they
think uploads of all packages are practical or not.

Also it might be be worth referring to the other options for team
addresses, even if they are imperfect:

https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/AliothMigration#Import_mailing_list

> The second option is available for a limited time only, by end of
> May 2018 the most. So if you're interested in going this way, start the
> process as soon as possible.
>
> Note, as mails to the maintainer address will not get through, this
> bugreport is Cc'ed to all uploaders of the package.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Christoph and some alioth-lists maintainers
>
> Affected packages below, as created by dd-list. The total count is 711

Since the number of bugs is pretty large, I think it would be best to
file these in batches.