Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 04:11:48PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Wow, hopefully not ! LTS is an effort by the Debian project. What the
> > external company does  is an effort to *FUND* individual to work on it.
> > Currently, only Freexian does this sponsor gathering and redistribution
> > work, but it's my understanding that it would be perfectly valid (but
> > IMO probably not desirable at this point) that another company competes
> > with this funding effort.
>
> I don't think it would ever be a good idea to have companies competing
> on that.
>
> No matter whether it's the Debian release team for stable or Freexian
> for LTS, you need one place where the decisions are made.

Thomas pointed out that the (current) LTS design allows for several
companies competing about *funding sources*, not about the work.

Eg there could be a company collecting money to exclusivly fund DDs from
Latin America or only women or... anyone.

> > So yes, LTS is fully part of the Debian project, and how Python 2.7 is
> > supported should IMO very much be our concern.
> Such decisions are made by Freexian and their sponsors.

No, those decisions are made by those doing the work. (And eg I work for
myself, not for Freexian.)

--
cheers,
	Holger