Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

Andrej Shadura writes ("Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules"):
> On 25 April 2018 at 18:14, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> > There are big codebases written in languages like Tcl around,
> > so still using Python 2 doesn't strike me as exceptionally weird.
>
> Not really disagreeing with you on anything, but I felt I have to be a
> shameless plug and note Tcl is actually quite a nice language, as long
> as you’re not using it the way it was done in the 90s.

I love Tcl.  I am still writing lots of new Tcl.

But of course Tcl is not deprecated upstream.

Having said that, the question is how much work is it to keep having
python2.  Helmut gave an example of a situation where it _is_ work:
having python2 gets in the way of crossbuilding and porting.

I think that there comes a point where it is reasonable to ask people
who want to keep something going, in the absence of upstream support,
to do that kind of work.

Adrian: are you volunteering to write patches to solve Helmut's cross
building problem ?

Ian.