Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:42:15PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-04-24 22:39:48 +0200 (+0200), Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > To give a concrete example, Fedora switched to using Python 3
> > as the default several releases ago[1]; despite that, Python 2
> > is still available in the archive, and will get pulled in when
> > installing software that (regrettably) hasn't been ported yet.
> >
> > The same is true for FreeBSD and, I believe, Ubuntu. I'm not
> > familiar with the approach other distributions and OS are
> > taking, but I would expect it to be fairly similar.
> [...]
>
> Rumor has it that RHEL 8 will be dropping Python 2 while (finally!)
> adding Python 3. Much of that is fueled by the Deprecated
> Functionality[*] section of the RHEL 7.5 Release Notes wherein it
> states, "Python 2 will be replaced with Python 3 in the next Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux (RHEL) major release."

Two paragraphs below the text you quoted:

> Note that Python 3 is available to RHEL customers, and supported
> on RHEL, as a part of Red Hat Software Collections.

So you could say that RHEL is taking the approach described above -
having a transitional period where both versions are available side
by side - with the only difference being that Python 3 is currently
not delivered through the same channel as Python 2.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>