Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On 04/21/2018 11:19 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Since we are supporting Python2 in the next release, there is no value> in dumping python-* packages now. Unlike many areas of the archive,
> Python packages are actively used by third-party code that isn't and
> won't be in Debian.

There's always value to start de-crufting legacy stuff early. That being
said, I hear your message: this is breaking 3rd party code, and we need
to keep this in mind.

> I'm generally in favor of getting rid of old stuff, but python2 isn't
> there yet.

Right. But I do believe we need to be very careful to not send a wrong
message to our users. Debian deprecating Python 2 is good. A strong,
bold deprecation message is needed, even if we want to continue
supporting Python 2 for a bit more.

> Please wait until after Buster and then feel free to resume the charge.

IMO, it's already too late to get rid of all Python 2 for Buster. It's
just too much work, unfortunately. Though could we get into the
agreement that we *MUST* get rid of all traces of Python 2 for bullseye?
Can we agree that we wont change our minds?

We need to discuss what this means. Maybe adding a hard lintian *error*
when there's Python 2 just right after Buster is released? Or a little
bit after that, to leave enough time for maintainers to do the removal?

Looking at other distros is interesting. If I understand well, they will
never have Python 2 and 3 interpreters in the distro, and will
completely switch from 2 to 3 at once. I very much prefer the Debian
way. Though at some point, we need to take the hard decision, and if we
keep Python 2 forever and never act, the our way is pointless.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)