hijack my thread

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:49:36PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2018-04-17 13:15 +0800, Rolf Leggewie wrote:

> > the ticket now does
> > serve a purpose in documenting publicly why there was no upload to
> > gjots2 in unstable over many years.  The reason given is still valid,
> > that hasn't changed, no update needed there. It sums up the state of
> > gjots2 pretty well and thus for the sake of not spreading fake news let
> > me quote it here.

> -----------

> > > Thank you for your report.  There are ways in Debian to inform the
> > > maintainer automatically about new upstream releases (debian/watch).
> > > Specifically opening bug tickets about new upstream versions being
> > > available doesn't really help much.

> > > I had had a look at the new upstream quite a while ago and found
> > > several bugs so I reported them upstream and held off releasing
> > > to Debian.

> > > https://sourceforge.net/p/gjots2/bugs/

> Someone new to this can't tell from this message or that list of 20 bugs
> (none of which obvisouly have your name on), what it is about the
> package which is so buggy that a new version cannot be uploaded.

> It would help if you actually explained the issue, or at least said
> which of those bugs were relevant.

To what end?  Are we then going to vote on whether Rolf's decision to defer
the new upstream releases was technically sound, before we will recognize as
valid his feelings of frustration that Debian's norms and policies were not
followed?  Is our response to a complaint that a maintainer's rights[*] have
not been respected, to further punish the maintainer by collectively
usurping that position for ourselves?

Now, I don't think this thread should ever have been begun the way it was on
debian-devel.  There are appropriate ways to provide feedback to the DAM and
the NM team that don't involve publicly naming and shaming people on
Debian's highest-profile technical mailing list; and the general problem
could be discussed here without needing to name anyone.  But by my
reckoning, that means we should be trying to get our noses out rather than
sticking them further in.

[*] used loosely, but I can find no better word to express this