Re: FHS: Where to store user specific plugins / code

Hi Jonas,

On 18-03-09 19:18:50, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Am 09.03.2018 um 14:23 schrieb Georg Faerber:
> >> Ian's comments are good for admin-installed plugins that the users can
> >> use.  In fact there is good precedent for an app checking
> >> /usr/lib/pkg/... for plugins installed from Debian packages,
> >> /usr/local/lib/pkg/... for plugins installed by the admin from
> >> non-Debian locations, and then finally the user's .config/pkg/...
> >> directory.
> >
> > I guess we'll go with /usr/local/lib/schleuder then? Does this sound
> > like a reasonable choice?
>
> I don't think it's allowed for Debian packages to create subdirectories
> under /usr/local, is it?

According to the policy, that's allowed [1]:

"As mandated by the FHS, packages must not place any files in
/usr/local, either by putting them in the file system archive to be
unpacked by dpkg or by manipulating them in their maintainer scripts.

However, the package may create empty directories below /usr/local so
that the system administrator knows where to place site-specific files.
These are not directories in /usr/local, but are children of directories
in /usr/local. These directories (/usr/local/*/dir/) should be removed
on package removal if they are empty.

Note that this applies only to directories below /usr/local, not in
/usr/local. Packages must not create sub-directories in the directory
/usr/local itself, except those listed in FHS, section 4.5. However, you
may create directories below them as you wish. You must not remove any
of the directories listed in 4.5, even if you created them."

Cheers,
Georg

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#site-specific-programs