Re: BuildProfileSpec: noguile profile?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 05:08:36PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> I'm thinking about submitting patches to add support for a
> "noguile" profile to some packages to make bootstrapping a bit
> easier.  That can of course be done with a profile in the
> so-called "extension namespace", i.e. with a profile name of the
> form "pkg.${sourcepackage}.noguile", but the question is whether
> it wouldn't make more sense to have a standard "noguile" profile
> in the same style as for the other languages.

I assume you're talking about make-guile:

apt rdepends make-guile
    Crickets.
build-rdeps --old make-guile
    Nada.

The other package that is deep within build chains, graphviz, produces
binary: libgv-guile:

apt rdepends libgv-guile
    Zilch.
build-rdeps --old libgv-guile
    Nothing.

So having these useless bindings complicates bootstrap and transitions,
while giving no apparent benefit.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.