Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

On Tue 06 Mar 2018 at 18:27:29 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Brian writes ("Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation"):
> > #694068, #696755, #727740 and #777439.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I have read the bug logs and Trent Buck's message here
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694068#47
> seems to suggest a way forward.
>
> Perhaps someone would care to write and test a patch to d-i's network
> configuration arrangements, to implement Trent's suggestion ?  I think
> that the people who don't have network-manager would probably prefer
> this to use ifupdown, and making a whole new udeb will be work, so
> Trent's second suggestion seems sensible.

I would hazard a guess and say that 100% of users would expect to be
able to use the network they have set up during installation, afterwards.
Without an ethernet interface on the machine it becomes resorting to
setting it up again (5%), resorting to -user or the internet from
another machine (20%) or some head-scratching followed by walking away.
(The percentages are rough estimates).

> I have to say that the tone of this message is rather unfortunate.
> You make it sound like someone is deliberately breaking stuff.  That
> doesn't seem to be the case.

The message was written to -user. Besides having a really helpful bunch
of users, there can sometimes be a robustness and directness to the
exchanges. Don't let it put you off if you are used to a more gentile
environment.

I hadn't realised the breakage was accidental and unplanned. OTOH, I am
not in possession of the reasons behind it; apart from some conjecture,
they still remain unknown. As you will see from the bug record, even
Debian developers are mystified.

> Comparing to other distros can be very helpful but generalised
> statements that they don't have this bug is less useful than looking
> into how they solve the problem.

We don't know what the problem is.

--
Brian.