Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

Brian writes ("Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation"):
> #694068, #696755, #727740 and #777439.

Thanks.

I have read the bug logs and Trent Buck's message here
seems to suggest a way forward.

Perhaps someone would care to write and test a patch to d-i's network
configuration arrangements, to implement Trent's suggestion ?  I think
that the people who don't have network-manager would probably prefer
this to use ifupdown, and making a whole new udeb will be work, so
Trent's second suggestion seems sensible.

> > > The plain and simple fact is that a user who installs over a wireless
> > > link and does not have network-manager does not have any connectivity
> > > to the internet after first boot. Long Wind solved the issue by taking
> > > the advice given and Charlie S used his initiative and knowledge to
> > > devise an /e/n/i file which replaced the one the installer had wiped
> > > out.
> > >
> > > This has been going on since Debian 7.0.0 and is not the first time the
> > > issue has arisen here. Debian must be the only OS which deliberately
> > > removes connectivity present during installation.

I have to say that the tone of this message is rather unfortunate.
You make it sound like someone is deliberately breaking stuff.  That
doesn't seem to be the case.

Comparing to other distros can be very helpful but generalised
statements that they don't have this bug is less useful than looking
into how they solve the problem.

Ian.