Re: FHS: Where to store user specific plugins / code

Georg Faerber writes ("FHS: Where to store user specific plugins / code"):
> I'm maintaining schleuder in Debian [1], a "gpg-enabled mailing list
> manager with resending-capabilities".
>
> Currently, we allow users to run / execute their own plugins, stored in
> /etc/schleuder/plugins. Obviously, that's not the right place, as /etc
> is for config files, not executable code. We would like to fix this, but
> are unsure which location to offer. The (empty) directory would be
> provided by the package, but the (possible) content would be provided by
> the user.
>
> Therefore, I'm wondering what's the correct place: Would
> /usr/local/lib/schleuder/plugins be sensible? If not, any other place
> which is more suitable?

Do plugins do something which people might not want if present, and
not configured ?  If so then perhaps you want a thing a bit like the
apache mods-enabled scheme: a link farm.

If not, then if it's easy to do I would load all plugins in
    /usr/local/lib/schleuder/plugins
    /usr/lib/schleuder/plugins
(former masking the latter with for with the same name)

Ian.